Thursday, January 6, 2011

First photo-blog!

2011 is a new year and I am trying something new: inserting pictures in my blog! Here is a photo-blog for your enjoyment, a trip down memory lane of my time working in Venezuela for El Sistema (FESNOJIV).

Stephani Morales and Daniella Villaroel, two of my first students in Venezuela (2008)


Students in San Antonio de los Altos warming up for their
first concert for the city mayor (2008)




Nucleo "Valera" (Sept. 09)






In September 2009 I went to work with students at several Nucleos in the state of Trujillo. It was an amazing trip. I met and worked with dozens of students and visited many different nucleos. Although each nucleo was different, the enthusiasm of the students was always the same. Here are some snapshots of students from nucleo Valera, La Puerta and Sabana de Mendoza.


Nucleo "Sabana de Mendoza" (Sept. 09)


  The nucleo Sabana de Mendoza is located in one of the hottest parts of Venezuela. I remember the airconditioner barely cooled the room which was packed full of young violinists and violists, all eager for me to hear them perform.




Students at Nucleo "La Puerta"

Entrance to Nucleo "La Puerta" The man in the background
is the Director of the Nucleo.



La Puerta is a beatiful city nestled high in the mountains of the state of Trujillo. It is always chilly and the fog makes it feel like you are in another world.

La Puerta



Cellists from San Antonio de los Altos warming up for their
performance for Venezuela's Supreme Court (Dec. 08)


Students from nucleo "San Antonio de los Altos" warming up
to perform for Venezuela's Supreme Court (Dec. 08)




















My student Daniella Villaroel and my daughter Lilian Montilla accepting a
Plate from the president of "La Corte Suprema de Justicia de Venezuela"
The orchestra and choir from nucleo "San Antonio de los Altos" in the background
after a successful performance for the Supreme Court!
December 2008





 I hope you have enjoyed this picture-blog. I wanted to share with you some pictures from my time working in Venezuela pre-fellowship, especially since I am home and have access to my home computer.

No comments: